Home

THE ACADEMY

An Outlook

"The Law is not the same at morning and at night"

George Herbert

With the introduction of new technologies and changes in law the Judge is confronted with continuing challenges of court management, litigational efficiency and judicial balance in the conduct of trial in civil and criminal cases. Any investment in updating their knowledge and skills, and improving efficiency and work culture will be doubly repaid in the delivery of justice and in the efficiency of judicial administration.

The concept behind starting ‘Directorate training’ in the year 1986 as an appendage of the High Court, was also not different. This is one of the few pioneer institutions established in the country for imparting in-service training for the Judicial officers of the Sub-ordinate judiciary. It was on account of the forethought and untiring efforts of Hon’ble Mr Justice V.S.Malimath, the then Chief Justice, this institution started functioning in the High Court of Kerala. Since then, the Directorate of Training has been functioning as a centre for higher learning and training, and a platform to the Judicial officers for pursuing excellence in the dispensation of justice.

Elevating status in the year 2005, Hon’ble Mr Justice B.Subhashan Reddy, the then Chief Justice, renamed the Directorate of Training as ‘Kerala Judicial Academy’.

The Academy has so far conducted 122 Refresher Courses for the judicial officers of different cadre in the subordinate Judiciary and 140 District Level Trainings at the District Centres involving all the 14 districts from 1992 onwards.

Objectives

  • To develop and deliver educational programs in order to make them available to the judiciary as widely as possible.
  • To keep the judiciary informed about new legislations and other developments of particular interest to the judiciary, and to develop programs like study courses, conferences, seminars, lectures etc. to achieve these ends.
  • To provide continuing legal education to the Judicial Officers.

Campus

HISTORY

The Kerala Judicial Academy was previously housed in the sprawling Ram Mohan Palace, which stands overlooking the enchanting island of Bolgatty across the placid backwaters. Constructed in 1938, this palace had been used as a Guest House and later as a Military hospital during World War II. It homed the Cochin Secretariat till 1949 when it became the High Court building for Travancore-Cochin State. After the reorganization of States in 1956, it became the house for the High Court of Kerala and continued to be so till the High Court was shifted to a new building in the year 2006. Later, this building was allotted for the functioning of the Kerala Judicial Academy.

A more spacious and exclusive campus for the Kerala Judicial Academy was constructed at Athani, Ernakulam district. The new campus of the Academy was inaugurated  by Hon'ble Mr. Justice T.S.Thakur, the Chief Justice of India on 16-01-2016. The Academy is now functioning in the new campus at Athani.

The new campus of the Academy consists of the following:

Academy Building:

It is a Victorian type of construction. It has an approximate plinth area of 40,000 square feet. The front door opens to a grand entry lobby. Life size statue of the Father of the Nation decorates the landing area of the elegant staircase leading to the first floor. Chambers of the Directors are housed in the main block. The office is on the western block and the library is on the eastern block. Two training halls, one on the ground floor (Periyar) and other on the first floor (Souparnika), each having a capacity to accommodate 80 persons are at the central portion. A conference hall which can accommodate 20 participants is also encompassed in the library block. The Library of the Academy is a centre for self-learning that helps trainees open a vista of sources of information. Books on substantive laws, procedural laws, Case laws, Digests, Books on general topics, Subject encyclopedias, Manuals, Journals and periodicals in English and Malayalam are available in the Library.

Faculty Building:

The faculty building in the Academy campus is intended for the Hon'ble Judges and senior faculty members visiting the Academy in connection with the training programmes.

Hostel:

It is a double storied building having 27 rooms. A spacious central dining area with attached kitchen facility is provided. Reception, recreation area and reading rooms are also part of the building.

Residential buildings:

Residences of the Director and the Additional Director are independent buildings. The third building is a two storied one and are the quarters of the Deputy Director and the Assistant Director..